Fletcher's Ramblings

I actually began this thing a couple of years ago when I thought it was worth having to post my political views. In the past couple of months I've decided expressing political opinions are just too tedious and tend to make enemies faster than friends. On occasion there will possibly be a political jab or two, but overall, I just want this place to be a venue for reading. Your comments are welcomed and encouraged.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Off The Cuff - Oh, Man, Did I Do That?

- © Kent Fletcher
October 31, 2006

Returning from Dallas yesterday, I stopped at Luby's in Cedar Hill for a late lunch/early supper. I got the Angus chopped beef thingy with clear gravy, fried okra, turnip greens, and I thought a regular chunk of cornbread which turned out to be Mexican cornbread, replete with jalapenos. Only took one bite of that and put it back on the plate. I don't do jalapenos at all. I like to taste my food, not soothe the burning sensation on gallons of water. The beef thingy also had onions on it, sweet and very tasty. I also got some pasta salad on a lark. Yum, yum, it was ALL good. Except the cornbread.

I finally laid myself down around 11 last night, knowing I needed to rise early to go to Fort Worth, Arlington, and Grand Prairie on bidness. Just about the time I thought I was going to drift off to dream-land, something told me I'd best get to the bathroom, pronto. The greens did what they were supposed to do, and maybe the okra, too. I was finally able to return to bed around 3 this morning.

I woke up at 7:30, and just laid there for a while. Stomach and bowels weren't rumbling or anything, but hoooeeee, I was tired. Got up, fed the tribe of cats, reheated some day-old coffee, got on the computer checking emails, bank statements, USADS private board, all those weird things. As I said, I needed to go to the metroplex, get some errands done, so I finally got off my duff, took a shower, fed the pooch, threw on some clothes and sandals, trucked on north. The pooch indicated she wanted to go for a ride, and as the day was not supposed to get hot, why not?

Got to Fort Worth in plenty of time to find a parking space, ankle across the street, elevator up to the third floor, get my item, and return to the car within 10 minutes. I had deposited some 65 cents in the meter, thinking the task would take longer. Drove over to the NFCU, deposited the check. Returned to the car, and noticed just before I sat down, the pooch had upchucked on MY seat. Thankfully, I had a sweatshirt still in the car from the trip to MS a couple of weeks ago. She sure didn't think anything of it.

Drove on over to Arlington to see my financial advisor before I went to Grand Prairie to pay a vet bill. I was sitting talking to the secretary, waiting on the advisor to finish taking some sort of self-test. I got to working my feet around, and I was wondering if I had already worked the insole below my big and next toe out of my relatively new sandals. Something just didn't feel right. I kept fidgeting and finally got up the gumption to take a look-see at what I was feeling.

Oh, Man, did I really do that? In my running around this morning, I reached under my computer desk to get my sandals, not paying attention to what I was really doing. On my left foot was a new sandal. On my right, a two-year old sandal. Even though they kinda-sorta look alike, they are not. While I don't think I really got red-faced, I got to thinking about just where all I'd already been, and where else I was going to go, wondering had anyone noticed anything askew at the big building in downtown Fort Worth, or even as I walked into the bank where the advisor was. No, I guess not.

But I felt like a country bumpkin, a little. While my 'normal' attire may be just jeans and a t-shirt, and a pair of sandals without any socks, and maybe a ballcap, I don't consider myself a ragtag country bumpkin at all. But when I looked down and saw those mismatched sandals, I was just beside myself.

Funny thing, though, I forgot all about this when I walked out of the advisor's place of bidness. On to the veterinarian's office, and to see a friend at his workplace when returning. I did make a quick stop at WalMart and nobody noticed anything, much less looked at my feet. Of course, only a person in a business suit or tuxedo would be out of the ordinary at WalMart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home